Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Getting the (elevator) shaft

Maybe I overthink things. Actually, I know I do. But have you ever noticed how in all action flicks, elevators are relatively easy to escape from because their ceiling has a conveniently placed hatch of sorts? I wouldn't want to belittle the effort required to access this hatch and make it onto the top of the elevator to pull off an amazing stunt, make a getaway or surprise bad guys, but... I have been checking out elevators here and there, and NONE of them have a removeable ceiling. No hatch. No potentially easy exit.

Am I missing something?

Clearly this has pretty much zero impact on my everyday life, but now every time I see a movie with an elevator escape scene, I can't help but wonder what the characters would do if their Plan A was not applicable. And I also wonder why elevator companies don't put hatches in all elevators - I mean what if something happened and you couldn't get out through the doors?

This is right up there along with the fact that good guys apparently have a much much better aim than bad guys. And when they get shot somewhere, it doesn't impede their actions whereas bad guys shot anywhere will drop down and be useless - but I doth digress.

My point (I think) is that I want to suspend my disbelief when I go see a movie. But if you're going to blatantly ignore the laws of physics and logic, then you may as well make your heroes wear spandex and have special powers, because that's always cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment