Friday, July 16, 2010

Breakfast

I've been trying to figure out a good formula for breakfast for a while now, and I think I am getting closer. The thing is...

1) Brunch is my favourite meal, but let's just accept that it is not an option to have brunch for breakfast every day, no matter how tempting.

2) I love the egg and cheese sandwich option, but it's not so healthy long term and requires a functional kitchen* as well as time before you leave the house to prepare and eat said sandwich. Not ideal when you pathologically hit snooze an extra 3x every morning just because you know you can get away with it if you skip breakfast (bad Shahnaz!).

3) When I eat breakfast at work I can take my time instead of snarfing it in 35 seconds on my way out the door. Work has a functional kitchen I can use.

4) I don't like wasting food, but sometimes things happen and I don't go with the planned breakfast for a few days. When I tried having fruit for breakfast, this inevitably lead to waste.

5) The whole concept of muesli is curious to me and not intrinsically appealing, but if so many healthy active people embrace it, it has to have something going for it, right?

Well, if you thought having muesli for breakfast was as easy as buying the stuff and making yourself a bowl of it with some milk and fruit, you were wrong. I tried that, and it tasted like horsefeed! Plus I am pretty sure it dehydrated me from the inside out, that's how dry it was. Turns out you need to get the dose of milk just right and should let the muesli sit in milk overnight so it can absorb it... yeah, not happening. But there is another way - add milk to the muesli and zap it in the microwave while you chop up the fresh fruit and TADAH! You're one giant step closer to having something tasty. Then it's just a matter of getting proportions right. Oh, and if you buy the cheap muesli, it will just be that much more stubbornly dry (trust me, I tried).

So far, the best formula seems to be: (muesli + lots of milk)^microwave + 2 fresh fruits from the set {peach, nectarine, pear, banana} + optional dollop of honey

And yes, I'm a dork.



*I have not really had a functional kitchen for 3 weeks now due to a move from the family house to an apartment... long story, deserving of its own post (or 12).

No comments:

Post a Comment